Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Jain Temple


Hi.
I know my blog is more popular when I have pictures to add but it is hard to get my thumb drive to work on the computers. I guess I will just have to try to write well enough so I can paint a picture with my words.
I have been away from my village for about four days. We decided to take a mid-research retreat. Research is taxing and living the life of a local is difficult. We took a train into the tourist town of Fort Cochin in Kerala. First of all, trains in India are so fascinating. I will have to do an entry on just train rides. We stayed at this wicked nice hotel. There were actual beds. And in comparison it wasn't actually very nice but compared to sleeping on a cement floor it was amazing. Fort Cochin is a city that rest on the coast on the Arabian sea. There are huge Chinese finishing nets that rest on the beach catching delicious fish and making for beautiful photos.
I had read about a Jain temple in my handy guide book. With Heidi, I took off for the Jain Temple. It should have been a twenty minute walk but it turned out to be an hour walk. We got there and there a couple of Indian families and some devotees. We took of our shoes and walked around. After five minutes of being there we see a man holding a bucket walk into the courtyard. He sets down his bucket and yells something. Thousands of pigeons fly off of the tops of the temples into the courtyard. I am taken back. I was scared but I was also amazed. This man takes a scoop full of rice from his buckets and starts to pray. At the end of his prayer we are invited to feed the pigeons. I gather a handful and lower myself to the pigeon's eye level. Eventually I have a few pigeons eating from my palm. It was a sweet experience. All the while I had pigeons flying around my head. It was one of those raw experiences that caught me off guard. I can't wait until I can show pictures of my adventures.
Until next time...

7 stamps of approval:

Sam L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam L said...

Sydney the pigeon lady. I never would have thought... haha.

Hey, so I wrote a blog post about you on the Envision the World blog. You should check it out - www.envisiontheworld.org/blog

Kirsten said...

pigeons.. haha. sounds amazing though. I'm sad about your difficulties with the jump drive. Enjoy your break from the village!

chaela said...

I love those 'raw' experiences. They happen at the most unexpected times and add a dose of perspective and humanity to our hectic self-driven-ness.

Right on.

Anonymous said...

Prezados clientes


Quem quer comprar carne de 1ª qualidade é favor de me contactar...vendemos carne fresca do sudoeste asiático.Carne tenra e fresca ( ainda menores)de primeira mão, sem doenças contaminadas, algumas ainda usa fraldas....vitório é prova de qualidade. também tenho bom vinho, da terra do meu avô, loucor beirão acompanhado com o chouriço português do meu avô...ainda tenho pra vender os meus tomates, ainda virgens e frescas...acompanha de suco bem doce...pois confeço que tenho diabetes, ainda vendo em saldos bananão bem grande de de marca tiu monte, acreditam que nunca viram banana tão grande e ríj, também acompanhada de suco que é especialidade da casa...não esqueçam que também tenho chourição (dos grandes)à venda e tão boa qualidade que até se vibram...fazemos entregas ao domicílio...para terminar apresento-vos o meu chouricao de burro, directamente do meu quintal sempre de melhor qualidade, e garanto-vos que vão ficar mais espertos depois de comer chourição de burro

saudações

Vitório Rosário Cardoso

Jannie Funster said...

I had about 100 pegeons on me in Trafalgar Square. I know the feeling.

Nice photos and blog!

Angel Kae said...

Sydney I'm loving this. You're gonna have such great material for your thesis, cause you are noticing so many details. I just read the best book about India. It's called "Freedom at Midnight" and it is a history of 1947-48, when India gained her Independence. Maybe you've already read it - if not, I really recommend it! One thing I learned was that Gandhi was assassinated. I can't believe I've lived 24 years and didn't know that! Proves I never watched that whole movie. take care!!