Friday, June 6, 2008

Two Coins

Hello Friends,
Ok. I feel I need to clarify. Lately, I have been getting alot of comment consoling me or giving their sympathy. Listen, I don't need your sympathy. I am in freaking India. I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me. I don't mean to use any force. India is a hard country to live in but I don't regret coming, not once. Sometimes, I even love it. How do you like them apples?
The other day Heidi and I were at the bus stop waiting for our bus to arrive. We had been seated. Earlier a little boy had been tugging at my leg asking for money. I gave him a rupee. The little boy returned while I was sitting. He was leaning against my legs waiving his cup in front of my eyes. I began to talk to him in english. Asking him questions, like why is he doing this and why are parents making you do this, don't you have a childhood to live, ya know, just questions. Within less than a minute he had run away. He was screaming 'english,english.' He had gotten his older sister to come and talk to me. Before she reached me some other people told her to leave. Not less than twenty seconds later a man in a blue button up shirt and slacks is presenting a coin in front of my eyes. He says ' for you, ma'am, a rupee.'
I was dumbfounded. 'Why'
'It is a gift.' He then drops the one rupee into my open hand. He turned to Heidi and said the same thing. She refused. He dropped the other rupee in my open hand making two coins in my open hand. I asked again, 'why!'
'A gift.' He walked away.
We were so shocked. I came up with several reasons for this strange happening.
A. He stole the coin from the little boy and the other one was for the interest.
B. He had been starring at me so he thought it would be fit to pay for the time that I sat there as a model for his starring pleasure (not a good option and a gross one)
C. I had dropped two rupees and he didn't know how to say 'you dropped these' so instead he said 'a gift.'
D. I AM AMERICA
E. I had been in the city all day standing for hours on crowded buses, I truly looked homeless.
I know, I know. all options are not very good. Sorry I am not more creative. It seemed like a crazy juxtaposition to give me two rupees when I have clothes on my back and food to eat and there are starving children at my feet. I don't feel justified in receiving such a gift. I still have the two coins to give to someone who needs more than me.
Speaking of interesting juxtapositions... the other night Liann and I were walking home from dinner. We heard drumming so we followed it. We stumbled upon a Hindu funeral. Eventually we were invited to come in and join the family that was attending. At the time there were several men constructing a piar made bamboo and flowers. Once they finished this construction they were take the body out to be burned. We made friends with a girl that spoke english and for the rest of the night she acted as our cultural informants. Inside the compound many woman and men were sitting in plastic lawn chairs. Inside a room were woman in saris gathered around the dead body. The body was exposed to the air. She said with her head exposed and the rest of her body covered in cloth. When we walked into the room three women came to us crying and sharing with us their great sorrow. All I could do was take their hand and rub their arm. The woman dead was 85 years old and had had nine children. The woman crying on me were her daughters. Soon men came into the room and lifted the body outside and put her on a table. While the body was on the table they performed several rituals. I kept asking my friend for the meaning in these actions, sometimes she knew other times she did not. At one point she told me 'as of these are formalities but I do not believe in them.' I asked if she went to temple and other religious functions. 'I go but I do not believe.' I have run into that several times when talking to young girls that they keep their parents traditions but they have no faith in it. On the other side a man was saying to me that these ceremonies were of the most importance to his family. His nieces words versus his own words. Eventually the youth will be the parents and what will happen to these cultural traditions?
Today I went to a Hindu wedding. I will shared picture of these events soon.

3 stamps of approval:

Sam L said...

You know, Sydney, I've met a lot of kids who say they don't believe in whatever it is their parents believe in (Buddhisms, Islam, and Christianity), but I meet a lot of adults that say they were once unbelievers, but something happened that made them believe. It may be short sighted to think that because a young woman does not believe now, doesn't mean that she will never believe. Nor does it mean that she won't eventually learn all of the meanings of all of the rituals as she approaches her own death.

Then again, times change as does the level of religious affiliation and animosity.

I hope you're having a good adventure in India. I met a guy from Madras at work yesterday. He was really nice. We really aren't too far apart you know.

Oh, Lizzy and I have made plans, and I won't be able to take your call tonight. Don't be upset. We'll have to set up another time. I would love to hear from you!

Maria said...

dearest syd, how interesting to go to both a wedding and a funeral. Was it like bollywood at all in its extravagance? and how on earth did you get invited into a funeral? i like sam's comment a lot, very insightful. i think the stare-ing model was the most likely explanation, or perhaps that you are america :)

chaela said...

I thought your list of reasons why that guy gave you the Two Coins (of your eyes) were very creative. You underestimate your awesomeness.

I'm sorry I was too sympathetic about the bucket showers. If you would forgive me that would be awesome.

How cool that those people invited you in to see something so emotionally intimate. Although sometimes it can seem easier for me to bear my soul to a stranger.

Give that girl a Book of Mormon!!! Well, maybe that's taking advantage of the situation a little...but I think you are right, what happens when we become the grown-ups? Our generation is too nonchalant about some things. And a country so steeped in tradition, the next years could be trying.

By the way, you rock.

Love ya syd!