Saturday, June 27, 2009

I went to the year 2066, not much has changed but they live underwater

This blog goes out to my gal pal Cassi. She is out in the Pennsylvanian woods teaching young impressionable minds how to make rad books and how to transform large t-shirts into funky tops. She claims to always say 'we live in the future.' Her phrase continued to come to me as i would ask other nepalis when such and such happened and they would say 2064, or 2060. Currently, in the nepali calendar it is 2066 and i am becoming increasingly more convinced that we live in the future.

I just spent 4 days with youth leaders from around Nepal. These are leaders that work with technology centers, trying to help the community through technology. Youth is a very loose term and basically means anyone still relying on their parents so some of the youth were 28 and one was even 45. We had a good time talking about social capital and teaching others about facebook, blogs and wikis. I think even I don't realize how much technology impacts my life.

shout out to anyone who knows the origin of my blogpost title

6 stamps of approval:

emilymcb said...

Jonas Brothers.

Cheri said...

are you referencing the immortal Neal Young?

Rebecca Langham said...

wait, why do they think it is 2066 in nepal?

paul said...

Emily,

Jonas Brothers? Not only do you not know anything about music you are equally as uninformed regarding my little sister.

The correct answer is as Cheri pointed out Neil Young.

NO SHOUT OUT FOR EMILY.

Sydney Vivian Lambson said...

the sad part is the shout out does belong to Emily because I was referencing the Jonas Brothers.

Cassandra said...

I think the shout out already belonged to me because we live in the future. Also honorable mention goes to my friend Jace here who said, "Isn't it the year 3000, not 2066?" He is wise beyond his years.