Tuesday, February 2, 2010

All Things Go

Working 40 hours a week is a beast. I mean, I like my job. It is an adventure all the time, but it feels like work. And I know I am underemployed, doing a job that does not require my skill level (whatever that may be). I am antsy to take on more, rather than just schedule volunteer activities or smile at donors or tell kids to stop running. I can do more, I am sure of it. Knowing that my job will only last until the beginning of April, I dream of what I will do when I have spare time and can go visit my siblings or finish my quilt. It is such a paradox, I hate being unemployed but employment feels a bit like prison. What is that?

But to sooth over my feeling of being grounded, I am going to Chicago! At the beginning of March, I will be presenting in a conference, a real, legit conference. It is the Comparative and International Education Society Conference. Some of my colleagues from my Nepal adventures are presenting a paper titled "21st Century Technology in Nepal: How Youth Technology Leaders Communicate and Collaborate in Rural Himalayan Villages." Exciting, no? We kind of have no idea what we are doing... but the point is I am going to Chicago for a week! I am going to find some tea stops, maybe watch a tapping of Opera, and walk around. If you've been, tell me what to do. It's my first time!

4 stamps of approval:

Megs said...

When are you going?? I'm totally going to be in Chicago on the night of the 2nd and some of the day of the 3rd. Wouldn't it be crazy if we were there the same day?

Ashley Seil Smith said...

SYYYYYYDNEEY!!! Can I come with you? Are you kidding me? Tea and Oprah? I'm all over that. If you ever come visit me in New York we will have tea.

I completely understand what you mean about being employed and feeling like it's prison. I still don't know how to come to terms with being a grown up and working full time.

Rebecca Langham said...

seriously, what are the precise dates of your time in chicago? i am very excited for you, but i confess i will not be excited if we end up missing each other; i'll be back in utah for a few days before i enter the mtc.

chaela said...

One day I will live in Chicago. But probably not by the time you're going for the conference. But still you see the connection.