Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Bit of a Junkie

Tonight, was the final episode of BBC's newest version of Emma. My mother and I have always been a fan of Masterpiece Theater, ever since I was little. It is where I discovered beautiful stories about suppressed young women plagued by a misfortune of birth, wealth, family or situation only to be relieved by a man. But not really. I mean, some of these women are strong and can break themselves free, it just seems to make the story better when a dashing young man (Matthew McFadyen!) is involved like in the beautiful and heartwarming Litte Dorit. So many films that I have loved. Such as, Wives & Daughters, North & South, The Forsyte Saga, , the new and old versions of Persusion, Sense & Sensibilty, Mansfield Park, and the more recent additions like Cramford and Northanger Abby. These Sundays at 8 o'clock are real treasures for me. And this newest version of Emma is heads and shoulders above the Gwenyth Paltrow version, in fact I never liked Emma until I saw this one. Oh Mr. Knightly...
But tonight, after the final episode, there was this little gem of show. It is called Lost in Austen. It is about a modern British girl who switches places with Elizabeth Bennet. It sound hocky but it actually really funny. If you are a Pride & Prejudice junkie then you will probably love it

1 stamps of approval:

chaela said...

I love Little Dorrit.

Also, Lost in Austen makes sense becuase The person who wrote Pride & Prejudice is Jane Austen, so the storyline you described makes sense knowing that, so, that's good.