Sunday, May 4, 2008

Go Touch the Calendar


My blog title is from one of my favorite lines these past two days. I cant believe I am only on my third day here. I am not implying that it goes by fast but rather I have had so many experiences and most have turned out positive or can be seen as a learning expereince. We are in India, not everything is peachy keen, despite what you guys have maybe previously thought about it. My flight to here left on tuesday night at 10pm and I arrived in Chennai on Friday morning at one am. I was so happy to see Liann and Heidi there to get my bags. It is so freaking hot here... so hot, so hot. The internet in this cafe is pricey but it has air con and I can't say the same for my hotel room. After getting a full wiff of the Indian air we took a taxi to the hotel. I tried to sleep but I could not so I chatted with Heidi and Liann about life and love and our new lives here. There have been times when I have said why the h did I come here. Why why why. It is hot and you can even cool down. You guys know I am from Arizona and I like the heat but not like this. It stinks because we are right next to the bay of Bengal but the community pumps waiste into the ocean so there will be no swimming.
But there are good parts and eventually the good will out way the bad and I won't be jet lagged and I will get used to the heat. There is this man with no legs that sit on a pillow and wears a cap. We pass him every day on the way to the train station and he always says good day madam and smiles. He doesnt even have a tin can in front of him. I have learned to appreciate his smile. At the end of the street there is a lady who sells jasmine flowers on a string. Women put flowers in their hair everyday. They usually attach the sting to their pony tail. Heidi buys Jasmine from this lady. My hair is short and cannot handle a pony tail but I really wanted to support this lady so i bought some. Later that day I returned and showed her how I jimmy rigged the thing in there. She said I looked beautiful. We hardly speak the same language!!
Today is sunday and we went to church. It was a crazy and beautiful. The getting was crazy but the being there was beautiful. They had AC! A whole three hours of AC!!
We will be in Chennai until wednesday afternoon and then we will take a train into Coimbatore, spend the night and then head over to our village, Chavadi Pudur, where it won't be as hot.
The quote in the subject line has to do with the crazy man who was checking the rest of the people in. He wanted them to pay for four nights and I said we would only pay for two nights. I dont think I can relate the story in text, you kind of have to know crazy man. Anyway, I'm actual.

4 stamps of approval:

Kirsten said...

I don't have much to say, but i wanted to comment on your blog so you knew that i read it! Sorry its so hot. I know i couldn't handle it. You are in for an adventure though so don't give up hope yet!

Cheri said...

So hot! Just remember spring in Utah when you want to cool down. So cold! You sound good Syd. You are going to have such a great summer. Keep up the blog, we want to know every detail.

Asenath said...

That's sad that you can't go swimming to cool down. So gross about the pumping waste.

And don't you love how they all wear flowers in their hair? I think we should start that back up in Provo. :)

Angel Kae said...

Sydney! I'm your newest blog reader. I love hearing about your India adventures, so keep it coming! I just created a blog because I thought I had to make one to be able to comment on other people's. This may not be true, but now I have a blog. We'll see if I write on it. It's called slcsummer08.blogspot.com. So you've inspired me :). Yeah get some pics up too if you can!