Friday, May 23, 2008

My Village I Call Home



Chavadi Pudur, just a small village one hour outside of Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. It has a thousand people, maybe. I am constantly surprised at the new faces I continue to see and the wide age variety. There is a little girl that lives at the top of the road leading to Matthew and Jeeva's house, my host family. Everytime I pass (I must pass at least five or six times a day) she comes running out of her compound onto the street with her hand in the air and not wearing any pants or underwear. I think she trying to wave but all she has master is to stick her hand in the air. After two weeks here it has not gotten old.
I wake up at six thirty every morning. Around this time it starts to get warmer, the rooster is testing his vocal strength and the next door neighbor can't stand a waking moment without his radio. All these elements combine to my natural wake up call. It take about an hour and a half to get ready because bucket showers are not as easy as turning the faucet on. I do an assortment of things until about 12:30 in the afternoon, the hottest part of the day, and I talk the twenty minutes walk to lunch. On the right is a picture of the lane I walk down in order to get to the main street. I am usually wearing a sawarl camis, a long tunic with pants and a scarf. T he jerks who thought it was ok to wear a scarf when it is a hundred degrees outside will pay in the afterlife, I am certain. It was probably a man. Most woman here wear sarees. I can't do it. It is to much fabric and it is to complicated.
The landscape here is beautiful. Like this lake you see. One morning I went on the bus and found this lake. I got off the bus to see if I could eat a little breakfast and read a little. I was quickly disappointed. This was the ultimate public bathroom. As I walked down the hill towards the lake I saw it was a field of poo. I saw three people squatting to take a dump. Must be nice, poo with a view. So beautiful yet so disgusting.

6 stamps of approval:

Unknown said...

I'm envious of your adventure... not so much of your bucket showers though. Lucky girl!

Rebecca Langham said...

i love that there are pictures now, that's great!

Whitney said...

I totally understand what you mean with the bucket shower...here in Russia we don't have hot water for awhile, I take a sponge bath in a pan everyday. Good times! Are you having fun?

chaela said...

What a cool summer, Syd. I'm sure living some of it doesn't feel cool right now (did you catch that double meaning there?...ha!) but it looks pretty rad to me.

paul said...

Hey i am trying to come to india with mom. I've got a wedding in kentucky i have to attend on the 16th but i'll see what i can do...<3

paul said...

Hey i am trying to come to india with mom. I've got a wedding in kentucky i have to attend on the 16th but i'll see what i can do...<3