Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I wish I could truly give these mountains justice. I wish I could capture with my camera the supreme beauty of the Himalayas. Everytime I look up there are the mountains,so close to me and i stop to thank God for his marvelous creation, this earth.

For the past five days I have been with Ramita and Brittany running around Kathmandu Valley like we owned the place. I had the opportunity to spend today in a village called Sankhu with four very dynamic and innovative young adults. Part of my stay in Nepal is dedicated to supporting youth managed resource centers that are basically community technology centers run by the youth. These four young folk have been fighting against the elders of the community that want to shut them down and have shut them down in the past, but Sunni, Ramita, LP and David find ways to reopen and to continue to serve the community. They inspire me. But today they let share my knowledge about the english language, specifically the use of the word 'yet'. I may only know one language but I was able to use that skill to it's fullest, because later I edited content on a website and then taught an english course to eager fourth and fifth graders. Head, shoulders, knees and toes has never come so handy.

Tonight I got the best compliment, my host family told me that I eat just like a Nepali. You would thin eating with your hands was not a complicated matter, but there is a clear form and finally I have mastered it!

4 stamps of approval:

chaela said...

Sydney,

this is so cool.

I miss you, keep rocking in the free youth tech centers.

I love you!

also, don't forget 'eyes, ears, mouth and nose'

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Oh Sydney, I long for your adventures. New York is such a long way from Nepal (and India)...

Cheri said...

Sydney, I wish I was there. I love those mountains too. You are so fortunate to spend your summer this way. We miss you though.

Natausha said...

I felt the same way when I saw the Andes. I spent hours with my hand and camera hanging out the window, snapping hundreds of pictures trying to do the Andes Mountains justice. It never worked. Good luck. I hope you're loving your stay, miss you and love you!