Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mr. Timberlake, I present Sexy People

This may be the the most profound blog I have every stumbled upon. It takes some scrolling to appreciate and I honestly think it is a generational thing. I shared this with some of my freshmen students. They didn't get it. I do hope you understand the beauty. This is a good taste if you don't have to the time to scroll.

Today I went to a workshop about social change. I feel, more than ever, that maybe I can actually do something worthwhile.

But what does it mean to 'change the world?'

Dear World,

Sometimes I tell myself that I am going to change you, because I do not like the current state you are in. You allow for women to be oppressed, children to be enslaved, and machines to trample on your skin, destroying the resources that allow us to live. I think it's time for you to take some accountability and think about your actions. Ready or not, here I come

Love,

Sydney

P.S. really? you couldn't have done something about the weather?

... I walk with my cap and gown in four weeks. Finally a college graduate. I would say to any reader of my blog is thinking about doing college, it's really hard. I wish I had cared more about my GPA (but i still don't), grad schools would like me more if I had cared, but i had a lot of really good experiences that they will hopefully care more about. My two friends, Trent and Chelsea are getting married (not to each other) in arizona in the beginning of may and I haven't been there for a year and half. That is the longest since my family moved there back in '89. I hope to see all of my old friends like Amber, Keith, Chelsea, Zac, Shauna, and I wish Stacie. Leaving Arizona to go to Utah is one thing, but leaving Utah to go wherever means real seperation. After their weddings, I am going to be a bridesmaid for Kirsten's wedding in Portland. It is after that that I will be embarking on my post-graduation adventures like going to Malaysia to intern with a woman's organization through ProLiteracy. I know, right? Malaysia! I would say more about what I am going to be doing, but I honestly don't know. But I do know that my blog will be exciting again with pictures of the rain forest and water (what?). And then after that it's still a suprise to me.

6 stamps of approval:

Chelsea said...

Yeah, I started my blog the day I found out I was pregnant. It is more of a journal for me and a way to make sure I write my feelings and experiences. I really enjoy it. I will be transforming it into a physical journal at some point for Shea to have when she is older. Fun, eh? I am glad to know that you have a blog so I can keep updated with your happenin' life as well, and yes, I will see you and the gang at Chelsea's wedding. I will be big, but am not due until June 27th, so should not have a baby yet. :) Hope all is well my friend!

kelsey said...

Malaysia?! I am planning on being there (in KL) the first week or so of August. Maybe our times there will coincide and we can add it to our list of countries we have had dinner together in!

Liz Lambson said...

I really like your letter to the world. Are you going to mail it? To everyone? 'Cause that's a pretty huge postage expense.

chrisfish said...

DO NOT KILL THE PRIME MINISTER OF MALAYSIA.

I just had to say that first. Before you get brainwashed. Also, I love your blog. And I'm SOO jealous you're graduating.

chaela said...

Don't let Liz get you down about the postage to the world...I've got some of those 'forever' stamps if you need to borrow.

If I told you you've already changed my world would you stay here so I have a friend in this lovely deseret?

chaela said...

P.S. I haven't let a machine trample over my skin for WEEKS.